SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#208624 - 01/05/04 01:45 PM Re: Going "soft"
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think their entire system is built on software -- Windows to be exact. You can utilize any software you want. Not too familiar with the detals. You still have to have their keyboard.
DonM

#208625 - 01/05/04 02:37 PM Re: Going "soft"
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Bluezplayer, once you start down the softsynth and soft arranger route you will never return to hardware - studio or live performance. The sound alone will overwhelm you. Yes, the control surface needs some work but you can easily get used to it. This is motivating me to continue enhancements on my system - wow!!!!

If you want to start with a relatively good sounding arranger system then sYnerGi GS would be a good start for the arranger sounds. You may need to adjust the volumns a bit but generally the Yamaha styles will sound fairly good. I wouldn't use the Yamaha SW1000XG soundcard - way way way way to much latency plus the sounds are not very good. It is better to use something like a softsynth and the above noted wavetable. For the melody/lead voices use something like Kontakt and professional instruments, e.g., VRSound Saxes, Bardstown Bosendorfer Piano, etc. or the softsynths you plan on getting.

You can tie all this together in a nice streamlined and efficient package with Brainspawn's forte Ensemble. You can load this and OMB or Live - Styler with the launch of Windows and be ready to play in 30 to 60 seconds. You can even include a vocal harmonizer in this setup. It works and works very well. I am operating a modest computer by today's standards at 3ms latency and computer usage at 55%.

The good news is that each person will build their own unique system. It doesn't get any better than this!!!

#208626 - 01/05/04 08:31 PM Re: Going "soft"
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Jos Maas:
AJ,

You will get a better result (playing Yamaha styles) if you replace your software XG module with a SW1000XG soundcard. But it would be much better if you created your own styles adapted to both your music and the (soft)synths you are using. You can rip some tracks from existing midifiles and styles and then add you personal magic. Use the stylemaker tools in OMB. That is the only way to get a better sound than the hardware arrangers. Somethings just aren't for sale.

Jos

I don't want the SWxg1000. Aside from what Frank stated, I have heard others lament about latency issues as well and the consensus is that the sounds are better than the SYXG50, but still not that good.

Maybe some things aren't for sale, but.. a complete arranger system that included it's own pallette of sounds that would rival any of the current hardware would be if I had the programming knowledge and talents that you have Jos. I can dig up and create good sounds and improve upon them in my synths, software or hardware, but I have little knowledge of computer based programming.

I'm already blown away by the analog modeling in the CS80V and Moog Modeler Frank. I've yet to hear anything comparable in the current crop of hardware analog modeling synths, although the Moog voyager and a couple of others have great sounds of their own. But... the cost and particularly the flexibility of the soft stuff vs the top end hardware modeling synths makes all the difference in the world to me.

Really, a soft arranger isn't all that big a deal to me anyway. As I have stated before, I use very little of what any arranger can give me to compose, except maybe as a starting point to compare and contrast backing vs melodies. These days, I think mostly in terms of live play when I think of using an arranger, and what I already have suits my needs just fine. It's the wonderful variety of sounds and "sculpting " tools available in soft versions that I look forward to using. Also, I plan on keeping the Motif ES ( it's a great tool ) and the PA80, so as Squeak points out, I'll have for me what is the best of both worlds. Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-05-2004).]

#208627 - 01/06/04 04:38 AM Re: Going "soft"
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
[B] I can dig up and create good sounds and improve upon them in my synths, software or hardware, but I have little knowledge of computer based programming.
B]

AJ,

You don't need programming skills to achieve your goal. If you set up your system as Frank described then the only thing missing would be the styles to match your sounds. If you make your own styles you would have a unique sound. Not hundreds of styles for any imaginable request, but just a few for your "greatest hits".

Jos

#208628 - 01/06/04 06:55 AM Re: Going "soft"
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Jos,

I don't want to make styles right now. I just want to make music. Done right, stylemaking takes a lot of time, sometimes more than creating an actual song from scratch. I've done enough of it to know. Even making a few is more than I want to deal with right now. I'd rather just spend my money on something I don't have to tweak the heck out of.

I'd like to see someone make a complete arranger program that I can just plug in and play in a live setup. Listening to some of the sounds coming from some of the soft synths and samplers that I've tried, I know it can be done. You're program is an excellent prototype of what the other half of the program should work like.

As I mentioned earlier, if I had the know how programming wise, then maybe I'd consider spending the time needed and do it myself, and turn it into a commercial venture. Unfortunately, I haven't the skills to do it.

AJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online